20 October 2022
The brief, worked in partnership between Tata Steel and the Rossendale Group technical cranes team, was to bring an existing 10 tonne SWL double girder overhead crane back into safe, reliable service. The existing crane was manufactured over 50 years ago and parts are no longer available from the OEM. We specified and designed the new crab unit and rewired the main panel.
We have experience of providing lifting and handling solutions in all areas of the steel manufacturing process, from primary/secondary steelmaking to mills finishing, plate, sections, rail, rod, etc. In this instance, our solution comprised:
- Specification, design of the new crab unit.
- Fitting the new crab unit to the existing bridge beams.
- Rewiring the main panel to current specifications and standards.
- Replacing the existing pendant control with radio control.
- Fitting of long-travel anti-collision to work with adjacent crane.
The Rossendale Group service included:
- Site surveys, consultations and measuring.
- Concept design,
- ISO9001 controlled design and manufacturing.
- Site installations including RAMS, crane plans, safety management and qualified engineers.
- Certification including Declaration of Conformity, LOLER Reports of Thorough Examination.
- The Rossendale Group Certification portal, available free to the client, providing access to the full history of the lifting equipment’s certification.
We worked at weekends to work around the customer’s production and to meet completion deadlines. The job was completed on time and will hopefully allow the crane to work for another 50 years!
Thanks for the teams efforts this week they’ve done a cracking job.”Jack Robinson | Warehouse & Cranes Engineer, Tata Steel
The engineering team at Rossendale Group, including the chief engineer, the electrical installations engineer and the crane fitters are of the highest competence and worked extremely hard to meet all the requirements of the job. Leading this team on site makes work a pleasure.”JASON SINER | TECHNICAL SALES MANAGER, ROSSENDALE GROUP