4 May 2022
The United Utilities objective was to modernise and increase the capacity of the wastewater treatment plants in the North-West UK, with durable equipment suitable for the corrosive outdoor environment.
Lifting equipment requirements on such a project are extensive, including overhead cranes, overhead runway beams, jib cranes, mobile gantries, davits, hoists and man-riding equipment.
Rossendale Group has experience working on over 50 different water treatment sites in the UK and many sites across the world, including in the US, UAE, Brazil and Russia.
Rossendale Group is a lifting equipment manufacturer and the product range includes all the lifting and man-riding equipment required on a water treatment site.
- An indoor, double-girder electric overhead travelling crane, 6.3 tonne SWL, 22m span, 45m height of lift with true vertical lift, for an ATEX Ex environment. The crane also had auxiliary man-riding hoists designed to safely lower a man-riding cage into the deep chamber.
- Several overhead cranes, up to 32m span, for outdoor marine corrosive applications. All steelwork was fully galvanised. Hoist units were corrosion protected using the Delta Protekt KL 100 process, including the hooks. Chains were from stainless steel.
- Overhead runway beams, with corrosion protection per the cranes, with close engineering collaboration with the civils to ensure fitting to adequate structural bases.
- Jib cranes with power and manual slewing, fitted with stainless steel pump-lifting slave chains.
- Portable, lightweight aluminium mobile gantries, with variable spans and heights.
- Davit systems with installed sockets and portable davits with chain blocks and slave chains.
The Rossendale Group service included:
- Site surveys, consultations and measuring.
- ISO9001 controlled design and manufacturing.
- Site installations including RAMS, crane plans, safety management and qualified engineers.
- Site proof load testing by LEEA qualified engineers.
- Certification including Declaration of Conformity, LOLER Reports of Thorough Examination before first use.
- The Rossendale Group Certification portal, available free to the client, providing access to the full history of the lifting equipment’s certification.
- Lifetime records.
The full range of equipment was installed and commissioned on time and continues to work on a daily basis to service the lifting requirements on the WwTW site.
“Rossendale Group solved every problem we threw at them. We know that we can rely on them to install lifting equipment that does the job and lasts in the environment.”Steve Plant | Project Engineer, KMI